OFF: Ritual of the Solstice/stonehenge

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Wed Jun 28 19:21:53 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: OFF: Ritual of the Solstice/stonehenge

> david hall writes:
>
> [Glastonbury]
>
> > Were you there? How were Gong and Nik?
>
> Both were pretty well-attended, though the Avalon field is quite small
> and hampered by there being three other tents with music right next to
> the area in front of the Avalon stage.
>
> I find Nik's All Stars stuff pretty dull so I ended up looking for
food
> and pear cider after a while. Gong put on a very solid gig though.

Hmm - I was disappointed by Gong - a too harsh and jazz sound.  Also
they started half an hour late and only played an hour (admittedly with
an encore).    And I was far too far back to see anything.   And it was
cold.  And there were too many people.  And....
I guess I wasn't in the mood for that one.    Also I'd just seen two
crackingly splendid gigs beforehand in the same venue.     'Celtica'
were just excellent but the find of the Festival for me was 'Kangaroo
Moon'.    An OZ band with the most incredible sound.    Irish fiddle,
didgiriddoo, sensitive drumming and layer upon layer of keyboards with a
solid rhythmic beat behind the music.      Some of the tracks were a bit
slight and mundane but the best tracks wove a faulous tapestry of sound
that was pulling people in from all across the fields.    There may have
been others but they were the only band I saw attracting a crowd that
stayed and grew and didn't drift off anywhere else.      Sadly their
live album had totally sold out by the time I reached the merchandise
stall - will have to hunt elsewhere for that now.    Not Hawkwind but
highly recommended!

jill