OFF: Kansas & Yes

Kevin Sommers novadrive at HOME.COM
Thu Jun 29 04:42:17 EDT 2000

> So Kansas played an hour, and than Yes was on stage for two. Bleh. I would
> have preferred it the other way around ;-) But hey, Yes is cool too. Their
> songs were much longer, though. They only played 8 pieces in 2 hours, most
> of them 20-30 minutes long :-) They were all old stuff from their earlier
> albums, some they hadn't played in 25 years ! Playlist :
>
> 1) Close to the edge
> 2) ??? [no idea what the title of this one was]

"Starship Trooper"

> 3) The Gates of Delirium
> 4) Soon or sooner the light [not sure if title is correct ?]

Part of "The Gates of Delerium"; next was the guitar/vocal section of "The
Ancient" called "Leaves of Green."

> 5) Heart of the sunrise
> 6) Ritual (Nous sommes du Soleil)

Wow! Four-way drum quartet for about five minutes, all going positively
nuts!

> 7) I've seen all good people
> 8) Roundabout
>
> Line-up : Jon Anderson (the voice !), Steve Howe (the guitar !!), Chris
> Squire (oh my, the attitude ;-), Bill Bruford (at least I _think_ it was
> Bruford) and Igor Khoroshev (the name !) on keyboards.
>
> The sound was much better during the Yes concert, BTW. Bass was not quite
as
> loud, and much more bearable :-)

I've been a Yes fan since 77 (6 years before I had the good fortune of
hearing Hawkwind), and I saw this show in Phoenix last Sunday.  I would've
paid full price just to see "Gates of Delerium."  Fantastic!