OFF: now 90s v. 80s

Alex S. Garcia mvdbase at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 8 03:37:59 EST 2000

>I thought '99 produced a great number of really good albums, if you searched
>long and hard enough.  And the 90s have been spectacular, at least in
>comparison to the absolutely dismal 80s.

Well, I grew up in the 80's, so perhaps that had somewhat of an influence on
me. I do tend to prefer music from the 70's, though (I'm a huge progrock
fan), but I still have a soft spot for most 80's pop. I mean, c'mon, it was
a lot more catchy and melodious then anything (I'm talking mainstream here)
from the 90's. I'll take new wave over house or techno, anytime. Cyndi
Lauper over Britney Spears (yuck !). Duran Duran over Backstreet Boys
(*feels sick at the mention of BB*). The 90's have struck me as particularly
bland and tasteless (again, I'm talking mainstream).

Obviously, if you go digging underground, you're gonna find some pearls. All
decades have them. I just think they were buried deeper in the 90's.

>(Who would waste their time wondering if Culture Club was better or worse
>than Matchbox 20?)

Well, I'm not a fan of either, but I do think CC is more interesting,
musically speaking, but oh well... :-) Maybe it's just nostalgia.

>Surely, my thoughts aren't unique?!

Likely not. I even share some of them - though I do disagree about the 80's :-)

Also (and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this) it seems to me that the
90's were a lot more darker. Like the singers and bands out there were more
depressed or something. The 80's were more joyful, cheerful. It shows in the
videos too. Nowadays, all the videos are really dark and gloomy, at least
the vast majority.

Anyway. Just my two cents :-)

Alex.

Music Video DataBase : mvdbase.com
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
- www.noosfere.com/icarus/ (French & English)
My Web HQ : members.tripod.com/~Mandor/