HW: Did I really say that...?

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Wed Mar 8 14:08:22 EST 2000

At 06:58 PM 3/8/00 +0100, cosmos wrote:

>hey man
>still have those fanzines from rob boonen and you.

Actually - maybe you can find this thing. I couldn't. There was justone
thing I remember writing, which I was kinda happy with at the time. It was a
satire on some imagined Butterknife Records release from 20 years in the
future, called 'Friends and Relations Vol. 63' or something like that, and
it had this list of songs by artists totally unrelated to Hawkwind, like
Rolf Harris or Perry Como, accompanied by these ridiculously complicated,
tortuous attempts to draw some connection between them. Like (I'm making
this up, it wasn't in the original)

Henry Mancini - Moon River

Mancini's 'Moon River comes from his score for the movie 'Breakfast at
Tiffanys', which starred Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn also starred in the
original version of 'Sabrina', which was recently re-made, with Harrison
Ford. Ford has the same last name as the first name of Ford Prefect from
Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which was written by Douglas Adams, who
also wrote some episodes of Dr Who, which first screened on the same day
that John Kennedy was assassinated, and as we know, Dave Brock includes
recordings of the Oswald murder on the 'Church of Hawkwind' album.

That sort of thing :) Try it - it's fun!

The one I was particularly pleased with was the one which attempted to draw
a connection between Motorhead's 'Ace of Spades' and Hawkwind, not via the
fact the Lemmy used to be in Hawkwind, but by some unimaginably long-winded
and ludicrous argument that roped in everyone from Buddy Holly to
Copernicus. However, I couldn't find the thing in those zines, though I do
remember someone telling me they enjoyed it. I wonder if I just sent it out
to a couple of friends, rather than putting it in the zine.

Anyway, maybe it's time for a new one...
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania