OFF: now 90s v. 80s

Alex S. Garcia mvdbase at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 8 14:09:13 EST 2000

>Alex gets off the point with...

Not really. More like getting back on track. When I made that comment about
the 90's, that's what I was referring to : mainstream. Why ? Because that's
what you hear everywhere, when you turn on your TV or your radio. So
basically what I'm saying is that (to me anyway, since obviously you don't
think the same way :-) that the music you heard all over in the 80's was
much more interesting than what you hear now all over.

>>Obviously, if you go digging underground, you're gonna find some pearls. All
>>decades have them. I just think they were buried deeper in the 90's.
>
>That's ok.  But I only found five in the 80s, and hundreds in the 90s.

Cool for you, man. I've found tons of bands nobody's ever heard of in the
80's. A lot less in the 90's.

>The question is...beyond
>this rubbish, is there anything to listen to?  In the 80s, hardly (that's
>why I listened to (some) metal)...in the 90s, absolutely!

That's a matter of opinion.

>Videos?  I haven't seen a video since Mark Goodman (probably DD's "Rio").
>:) Now I understand where you're coming from.  :)

I'm not sure you do. Though I grew up in the 80's, I was living in France,
and we didn't have MTV there. They did show videos occasionally, here and
there, and they did fascinate me, but I wasn't "raised" on them as many were
here in the States. I was mostly listening to the radio. And yes, being
young and all back then, I was mostly exposed to mainstream stuff (my love
for prog and 70's rock in general would only come much later). I didn't like
everything, but I did think most of it was pretty damn cool. Basically,
there'd be 1 or 2 songs out of 10 that I wouldn't like. These days, when I
listen to the radio it's the other way around : 1 or 2 songs out of 10 are
good. The rest makes me cringe. Though I do now tend to listen to rock
stations, so it's not so bad - but in France we don't really have
specialized radio stations like that, so it was harder to avoid the crappy
stuff.

Alex.

Music Video DataBase : mvdbase.com
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
- www.noosfere.com/icarus/ (French & English)
My Web HQ : members.tripod.com/~Mandor/