OFF: now 90s v. 80s

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Mar 8 14:24:51 EST 2000

Silly, ludicroix ideas reposted...

><<  revisionist youth at 35  >>
>=
>lololol
>
>looking for a place to jump in here, maybe....
>
>at least-at least and nothing more...duran duran was a _band_ what had to
>play their equipment, click trax notwithstanding, but the BB sing along
>w/finished 'product', ready and waiting for them. i think that's a measurable
>distinction these days.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I loathe Duran Duran even more.  Crap
like BB don't even register as 'music' or 'a band' to me.  I don't consider
them musicians at all, just 'entertainers.'  DD, on the other hand, *was* a
band with (presumably) some playing talent and enough musical knowledge to
write songs and such.  And then they went and wrote such horrific music, and
performed it in such an insipid manner...gaak!  In other words, BB have an
excuse, what's DD's?

>but, but, mr henderson, how can you sh*tcan the first few years of the
>"british invasion"? i was surprised....
>not even the "revolver" lp? that neither? if naught else? wow....

Oh, I bought that last year (Chr. demanded that I get it), the only Beatles
album I've ever owned...just put it on now.  You know, I have always known
*most* of these songs (I *do* remember my bros' old 45s of Beatles tunes...I
generally ignored them in favour of 'Iron Man', 'Foggy Mental Breakdown' and
'Mary Long').  But I will admit I never heard 'Tomorrow Never Knows' until
1998 Strange Daze when Kid From Cleveland played it.  And then shortly
thereafter, I picked up Laughing Sky's 'Free Inside,' which also had a cover
of that tune.  I do really like that song, though I was a little
disappointed in the Beatles' version in comparison.  But then, of course,
that's 30+ year hindsight, and so I give MacLen credit for that tune. But
really, the remainder of 'Revolver' is of no interest to me.  I really
dislike the bubble-gummy harmony style of singing (in *almost* every case) -
that's why I cringe at some of PT's Stupid Dream (good songs, but horrible
choruses in some cases).

OK, I do think some contemporary material is decent enough, like Hendrix
(well, certainly better than 'decent'), 60s Who, Yardbirds, Cream, San Fran
bands, even a couple Zombies and Hollies tunes are bearable.  So I have a
few compilations of these bands, but then I don't listen to them very
often...classic rock radio plays them incessantly, and I've already hit
saturation level with all of them.

But for me, all this stuff pales ('cept maybe Hendrix) in comparison to what
began in 1969.  I see a rough dividing line between everything *before* the
opening note of "Good Times, Bad Times" and after.  And this fat line stops
with the closing note of Black Sabbath's first about a year-and-a-half (?)
later.  (And for our purposes, continues all the way to the end of ISoS.)

>leslie gore was cool!

I don't even know who that is.  Al's mother?  And who the hell is Nick
Drake?  I see that name all the time now, and 18 months ago, I swear I'd
never seen it before.  (Usually in conjunction with Beach Boys' Pet Sounds,
an album I have absolutely no knowledge or understanding of....and I hope I
never have to hear it!)  :)

Keith H. (FAA), Revisionist Guru (Guru)

P.S.  Who wants to defend the Ohio Express now?  :)