'90's vs '80's

Wed Mar 8 23:33:29 EST 2000

>Obviously, if you go digging underground, you're gonna find some pearls. All
>decades have them. I just think they were buried deeper in the 90's.

No way, Jose - the real gems were buried way deeper in the '80's than
ever they were in the '90's.
Christ - here in the UK, a group of us began the yearly 'UK Electronica'
festivals that ran right through the '80's and we put on the cream of
obscure UK synth music, but I hijacked the non-synth side of things to
feature Jasun Martz and the weirdest Hawkwind gig ever in '83, the first
concert from the guitar-led Ash Ra in the UK since '75, in '85, a
classic O Yuki Conjugate gig in '87 and late-lamented progsters Tamarisk
somewher in there too - we even had the space-rock band Big Amongst
Sheep playing outside of a venue in Sheffield in a car park using their
own generator!!
The '80's were more extreme than the '90's - the pop was either great or
pathetic, the metal mostly average and the underground buried so deep
you had to have a degree in archaeology to find it - but it was there
and, given time, I could give you a list of easily 100 great groups of
the '80's - good music is always around - you've just got to know where
it is and how to find it.
Andy G.(Dead Earnest)