'90's vs '80's

Thomas Rickert hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Thu Mar 9 12:14:23 EST 2000

K Henderson wrote:

> >The '80's were more extreme than the '90's - the pop was either great or
> >pathetic, the metal mostly average and the underground buried so deep
> >you had to have a degree in archaeology to find it - but it was there
> >and, given time, I could give you a list of easily 100 great groups of
> >the '80's - good music is always around - you've just got to know where
> >it is and how to find it.

Yeah, I'd like to see this list. Even a partial or half list would be cool. With
brief descriptions, a maybe a note on availability...?

> OK, so what *were* the space/psych groups from the 80s (other than BAS) that
> never found an audience around the world?  Pick the handful you liked best,
> and give us a short description if you would.  I liked BAS enough to wonder
> if there truly were some others.  I guess other than HW, F&R, and the
> Hawkfan 12 bands (UZero and the like), the early 80s is a gigantic hole for
> me.  (Well, Eloy did some decent stuff too.)  But it wasn't then until TAT
> ('88?) and the discovery of Ozrics, Tubliah Dog, etc. that I realized there
> would be others appearing in the mists.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the Ozrics? They always sounded like Rush playing
watered down, unremarkable Yes to me. That samey-same overproduced 80's sound--ugh.
I just can't take it.

On another sidenote, why is it that so many great players (and the Ozrics are great
players, I'll give them that) are so unconcerned with exploring great and innovative
sounds? To give an example: Brian Eno versus Rick Wakeman. Now, I like Wakeman and
all, but let's face it: despite the fact that Wakeman is a billion times the
*musician* (technical ability-wise) that Eno is, Eno is a billion times the
*artist*. And that is because Eno has always been concerned with new sounds, new
ways to invent. He never sounds the same--even when he is boring, he is still
inventive. Wakeman, though, always seemed satisfied with whatever of the moment
sounds were in vogue and easy to obtain--which really works against him at times,
especially during his solo albums or solo space during Yes' live appearances (and on
Yessongs). Hawkwind, too, always seems interested in exploring new sounds, new ways
to sound (though, again, some of their early to mid 80s stuff has that 80s sound
that just dies on the vine as far as I am concerned...)

Thomas

NP--Stereolab- *Peng*