HW:/OFF: '80's sound

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Mar 9 16:12:12 EST 2000

Thomas doubted...

>> But it wasn't then until TAT
>> ('88?) and the discovery of Ozrics, Tubliah Dog, etc. that I realized there
>> would be others appearing in the mists.
>
>Am I the only one who doesn't get the Ozrics? They always sounded like Rush
>playing watered down, unremarkable Yes to me. That samey-same overproduced
80's >sound--ugh. I just can't take it.

Well, perhaps that's a little extreme, but I see what you mean.  I too,
don't believe the Ozrics were the best at 'free-festy' psych, rather I'd
nominate Ship of Fools and Dead Flowers for that.  But the Ozrics don't
really sound like Rush and/or Yes to me...I mean, most of their stuff is
either reggae or 'eastern' music.  Now, Ed's guitar soloing style is another
matter, and I suppose that's the sameness you're tiring of.

>On another sidenote, why is it that so many great players (and the Ozrics
are >great players, I'll give them that) are so unconcerned with exploring
great and >innovative sounds?

I suppose it's because they don't *have* to.  Bands like Hawkwind with only
marginal playing talent are forced to be creative in development of sound,
style, and (both visual and aural) theatrics.  I'm with ya', man, although I
can appreciate both.

Keith H. (FAA)