HW:/OFF: '80's sound

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Tue Mar 14 11:35:03 EST 2000

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 04:12:12PM -0500, K Henderson wrote:

> I suppose it's because they don't *have* to.  Bands like Hawkwind with only
> marginal playing talent are forced to be creative in development of sound,
> style, and (both visual and aural) theatrics.  I'm with ya', man, although I
> can appreciate both.

You know, maybe it says something about my musical taste (like maybe
I'm really a punk rocker at heart?), but I'd rather listen to their
"marginally talented" playing than almost any amount of elaborate
instrument wanking from "virtuoso" players.  I like the occasional big
showy guitar piece too, but it should be the highlight of the show,
not a basic building block of every song.  It gets old for me REAL
FAST.

Steve
swann at Plutonia.com