HW: technique (was: '80's sound...)

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Wed Mar 15 09:58:13 EST 2000

At 02:29 PM 3/15/00 +0000, Jon Jarrett wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Tim Gadd wrote:
>
>> At 04:49 PM 3/15/00 +1100, Tim Gadd wrote:
>> > IMO Hawkwind have had at least
>> >two _great_ bass players,
>>
>> FWIW I was referring to Lemmy and Adrian Shaw. I really like Alan Davey's
>> playing, but I don't think he was such an innnovator or stylist as the other
>> two.
>
>        I guess if you're in the US, your chances of this are low, but I
>reckon catching a Bedouin gig would change your mind; Alan's off on his
>own now. I was blown away by the last one I saw. Yours,

I gues the thing is that I haven't heard much 90's HW. The latest thing I've
heard with AD on it is the Love in Space EP. I'll admit his playing on that
was really stylish, fluid, spontaneous; more invigorated than on the earlier
HW material I'd heard him play on (not that that was poor by any means), but
to be brutally honest, it sounded to me like someone who'd learned how to
play like Lemmy, and then taken it a bit further, wheras Shaw's style was
quite his own (you couldn't say 'High Rise' owed anything to Lemmy, for
instance.)
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania