NIK: LA Show

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Mar 15 11:55:37 EST 2000

Chuck...

>Hey. Well, here's a quick review from me, for whoever is interested. First I
>met Doug Pearson at his friend's place in LA. We got to the venue too late to
>catch Subarachnoid Space.

That's too bad...they're pretty cool.

>Then 5:15 came on. Keith Henderson made me a CD-R of various bands recently,
>one of which was the song they kicked off their set with--"Starship Dark
>Sun". The hookey riff caught my attention when I first heard it. The next
>time I heard it, it struck me as being kinda poppy for space-rock. The night
>before the concert, I glanced over an old issue of Aural Innovations and its
>5:15 interview, which perplexed me even more.

Yeah, well, they are more of an arena-sized classic rock band at heart (they
named themselves after the Quadrophenia tune after all), with just some
psychedelic tendencies.  Nothing wrong with that I guess.  And they write
some good songs, but then some people don't like 'songs.'

>By the time of the concert, I
>seriously had my doubts; Doug's friend Doug kept turning to me, saying
>"Spinal Tap". Exactly. Finnish pop-psyche style.

Finland has their own recognizable 'pop-psych' style?  :)

>Nik came out during the last
>couple tunes to play sax. Oh well... I came hoping to see Nik's Space Ritual
>and that's finally what we got. At the end of the set, Grenas gave me the
>play-list, so here it is:
>
>Ghost Dance
>Master of the Universe
>Watching the Grass Grow
>D-Rider
>Sonic Attack
>Ejection
>Soul Herder
>Opa-Loka 2000
>St. Anthony's Fire (Farflung tune, I assume from a recent album)

Yeah, this is from the Belief Module...you don't have it?  You might be in
trouble, as the label (Bad Acid) went belly up already.  I guess they didn't
have them for sale at the gig either.

If it turns out that BM is totally absent from the marketplace, would it be
proper and non-offending to run a CD-R tree?  The album never did have much
of a chance, did it?

>Dan Ductor said...The show was amazing, like Chuck has already stated.  The
>visuals really flowed with the music.  Many thanks to Rob Jacobs for the
>amazing technicolor films!!

Yeah, Rob does great work...I hope he comes back to Strange Daze again this
year.  Too bad you didn't get FreeFall...he had great skydiving shots for
that tune.

Keith H. (FAA)