HW: Did I really say that...?

Wed Mar 15 14:39:38 EST 2000

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Tim Gadd wrote:

> At 06:58 PM 3/8/00 +0100, cosmos wrote:
>
> >hey man
> >still have those fanzines from rob boonen and you.
>
> Actually - maybe you can find this thing. I couldn't. There was justone
> thing I remember writing, which I was kinda happy with at the time. It was a
> satire on some imagined Butterknife Records release from 20 years in the
> future, called 'Friends and Relations Vol. 63' or something like that, and
> it had this list of songs by artists totally unrelated to Hawkwind, like
> Rolf Harris or Perry Como, accompanied by these ridiculously complicated,
> tortuous attempts to draw some connection between them. Like (I'm making
> this up, it wasn't in the original)
>
> Henry Mancini - Moon River
>
> Mancini's 'Moon River comes from his score for the movie 'Breakfast at
> Tiffanys', which starred Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn also starred in the
> original version of 'Sabrina', which was recently re-made, with Harrison
> Ford. Ford has the same last name as the first name of Ford Prefect from
> Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which was written by Douglas Adams, who
> also wrote some episodes of Dr Who, which first screened on the same day
> that John Kennedy was assassinated, and as we know, Dave Brock includes
> recordings of the Oswald murder on the 'Church of Hawkwind' album.
>
> That sort of thing :) Try it - it's fun!

        I have lots of fun with that sort of thing - drawing genuine
links between Hawkwind and goth bands for incredulous goths being my
favourite. My personal best has been from Hawkwind to a Bradford Uni
pisstake act called The Not Very Good Interval Band. They have a song
called `Little Fluffy Chips'; this is a (hilarious) piss-take of
`Little Fluffy Clouds' by the Orb, who featured at that time Steve Hillage
and Miquette Giraudy; they also appeared on _Xitintoday_ by Sphynx which
was of course a Nik Turner project, and Nik is/was in Hawkwind, *bing*. I
find there's very little that can't be connected to Hawkwind inside four
steps :-) Yours,
                 Jon

--
        |       Jonathan Jarrett             11 Manhattan Drive,   |