HW: Thrilling HW Adventures

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Mar 15 15:15:04 EST 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:46:27 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
>I've only had a chance to listen to it once, but the sound was good and the
>track selection reasonable.  Uncle Sam's on Mars was quite different than
>other versions.

The 1976 version of "Uncle Sam's On Mars" sounds very much like Neu to my
ears; more so than any other Hawkwind song, even "Opa-Loka" (which comes
pretty darn close, too).  I'd known for some time that Brock was a Neu fan,
but it's really cool to hear the hard evidence of that.  I like both this
"Neu" version and the "punky" Hawklords version (from the Weird tape) far
more than the "official" one on 'PXR5'.

>Time for Sale was cool to hear for the first time, Brock &
>Calvert sharing vocals.  Sounded very much like other material on ASAM to my
>ears...sorta Reefer Madness-ish I think.

I never understood the rationale for calling Rudolph & Powell "too funky"
until I heard this song (BTW is "Time For Sale" a Rudolph/Calvert
composition?  Does the Griffin CD include songwriting credits ... it
appears not ... I've been a bit disappointed that those were missing from
several of their reissues including ASAM).  Paul Rudolph sounds like he
wants to be Bootsy Collins!

My other question for the day is if the version of "Back on the Streets"
includes the verse missing from the studio version?

Joules of sound are bad for your hearing
And pleasure's something that doesn't last
I took a substance for disappearing
And I faded in the mirror so fast
I counted to ten
I was invisible then
It was hours before I came back complete ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com