Off:Wayne Krantz

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Thu Mar 16 09:46:57 EST 2000

At 18:31 14.03.2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Ref Wayne Krantz
>>He did say that he gave up record labels because, despite their
>>claims of "wide distribution", fans were always complaining that
>>they couldn'tf ind his albums.
>
>No wonder - they were on the jazz label Enja, not exactly the place
>most would look but the albums were and still are blinding, altho' it
>sounds like he's even better now than back then. I used to sell his
>stuff at Lotus Records mail order and it was hard 'coz no-one knew him
>and we ended up selling more CD's by Wayne Johnson as he was an
>identikit Pat Metheny clone (check out 'Grasshopper' for proof. I look
>forward to checking out the Krantz website!!!
>Andy G.

Hmmm...well, I'd been scratching my head trying to think where I'd heard
him before, and just before I got your message I had a flash & dug out my
enja 20th anniversary album, and sho' 'nuff there he was.  So to me, it was
a logical label to look at - don't forget they were also home to John
Scofield earlier in his career.  Given that Krantz considers himself a jazz
musician, and is probably better known in the jazz world than anywhere
else, he probably wouldn't think it strange either.  Speaking for myself, I
don't search by label but by artist, though there are things that I've been
prepared take a chance on because of the label that's released them.
Perhaps it's a matter of perspective!

As for an "identikit Pat Metheny clone" - eeeeuuwwww (*spit*spit*)

Cheers,
ChrisW
NP: Textures (Alex Paterson Mix)

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce