HW: Thrilling HW Adventures

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Mar 16 13:26:14 EST 2000

Doug P. spake thusly...

>On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:46:27 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
>>I've only had a chance to listen to it once, but the sound was good and the
>>track selection reasonable.  Uncle Sam's on Mars was quite different than
>>other versions.
>
>The 1976 version of "Uncle Sam's On Mars" sounds very much like Neu to my
>ears; more so than any other Hawkwind song, even "Opa-Loka" (which comes
>pretty darn close, too).

Hmmm...yeah, I think you are right...hadn't thought about that.

>I'd known for some time that Brock was a Neu fan,

Well, didn't he write liner notes for the UK (?) release of Neu!?  I think I
read that somewhere.

>>Time for Sale was cool to hear for the first time, Brock &
>>Calvert sharing vocals.  Sounded very much like other material on ASAM to my
>>ears...sorta Reefer Madness-ish I think.
>
>I never understood the rationale for calling Rudolph & Powell "too funky"
>until I heard this song

I like the 'funk blanga' thing...never heard anyone else play basslines
quite like this.  Though I have no taste for Aubergine.

>Does the Griffin CD include songwriting credits ... it appears not ...

No, it does not.

>My other question for the day is if the version of "Back on the Streets"
>includes the verse missing from the studio version?
>
>Joules of sound are bad for your hearing
>And pleasure's something that doesn't last
>I took a substance for disappearing
>And I faded in the mirror so fast
>I counted to ten
>I was invisible then
>It was hours before I came back complete ...

YES!

Bernhard says...

>btw: This gig is for sure NOT from Hammy Odeon 05.10.76 !!!!

Well, what the hell was I thinking believing the liner notes?!!  :)
So is it Colston Hall, Bristol UK September 27, 1976?  Or what then?

Keith H. (FAA)