HW: Live Legends gig

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Thu Mar 16 13:52:07 EST 2000

I wrote:

"Hassan, with Simon House, and they _left it off?_ In favour of what? Ggrrrr!!!
I'd love to hear a really good live recording of that track, with House on
violin."

- OTOH, to see SH playing violin on it, I'd also have to watch someone else
sing it. I'm afraid that over the years I've come to the conclusion that
no-one but Calvert can carry a Calvert song. I just get the strong feeling
whenever I hear someone else sing his songs, that they've learned the words,
but they don't really 'get' them. Oddly, it even seems to apply to Sonic
Attack, which Calvert didn't even write. Calvert sounded totally compelling
and menacing. Everyone rendition I've heard of it by someone else just
sounds silly. I could imagine Richard Burton or John Hurt maybe pulling it
off...  or even... maybe... (having just watched 'Dark City') Richard
O'Brien (was anyone else waiting for him to break into 'The Time Warp'
during that film?))
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania