OFF: '90's vs '80's

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Mar 16 14:06:22 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:22:53 -0800, "John H. McCartney"
<scorch at TE-CATS.COM> wrote:
>>The Wipers - started as a punk band in the late 70s, but the title track of
>>their second album, 'Youth of America' is an amazing piece of minimalist
>>blanga.  Reissued on Sub Pop, I'm pretty certain.
>
>Well, some of it anyway, along with Greg Sage's solo stuff.
>
>I used to see these guys in tiny clubs in 78/79 in Portland (OR), and
>they always put on an awesome show.

I'm jealous!

>I've got their first single

I'm even more jealous! (at least I have it on tape)

>and first
>album, which as far as I can tell have never been rereleased. I think I
>saw one track from the first album on a compilation.

The first album is *definitely* one that was reissued on Sub Pop.  It was
also repressed a couple times in the 80s, first by Psycho Records in the UK
(who also reissued High Tide, The Deviants, and other cool Hawkwind-related
stuff) and later by some German label (the one I have - they used the same
pressing plates as the Psycho version).  The first 7" has, sadly, never
been reissued, although the A-side was on the 'Best of the Wipers' comp on
Restless.

I'm not positive if 'Youth of America' is currently available in reissue
form, but that's the *really* good one IMO.  Highly recommended to Hawkwind
fans ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com