BRAIN: Piece of Work (re)visited and having a cup of tea

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Thu Mar 16 19:09:48 EST 2000

Thanks for posting Albert on the Black and Blue thing, it reminded me  I
wanted to write what was going through my head lilstening to Piece of Work
in the car all day for the past 3 days.

I have come to a conclusion that fer me at least, PoW works like a concept
album, in the best possible sense.

"Piece" although not directly a thingamajig of linear connective tissue,
strikes me as a retelling of "moments of the day" -- the passage of the sun
and all beneath it in "biloxi", to "rain rains" rememberance/regretting of
things past, "ON the raod again's" surreal retelling of a displaced
wandering cross the highways and the oddness of people. Keepin' with the
temporal theme is obviously "alpha and Omega" however, the neat thing botu
that one is the  line "you can't get there from here" fits in wonderfully
if one pauses to  regard time as a one way street where the reminscence of
good times cannot be driectly achieved and re-experienced by us mortal hot
dog men.
Capping it off, and not wanting to go to the car to make this missive full
o' verbal goodness and/or torture, 'Pink Roses" that each has its own
cosmology points to the particularities o' the day and moments, in that
they engross us.

"work" reads to me like the survival of the  "of" in the title if one wants
to think of "of" as being broken byt the man at an occupation or some other
despiriting event, whose presence and departure is marked by the grim, but
fun "Rock and Roll is Dead"... Taking a tip of the hat from Augustine,
"Confession #9" is the opportunity for recuperating made manifest (not to
mention the bells fitting nicely with the churchy philosophical reference
in this sentence).
Simple man (which i heard the Skynyrd version on the radiop today, does not
shine as brightly) make the dialogue of rememberance of sagaicty from loved
ones, and the hope of fulfulling their/your aspirations in life audible.
most overt reference to the "subtitle of the disc:"  is Comeptition and
burnin' in its heat.  And when all  is said and done,trial and
tribulationwise ,after you've been "lost" and made the trip down victory
boulevard, "The lady of the Harbor" waits to take you back home, in the
spiritual sense. ONce there, the appreciatio of the day can begin anew in
Biloxi or as a fond addition to ones history as this scratchiness of the
reprise could be said to convey.

With that, I will refuse to edit the above text for ease of reading, you
can blame the fact I'm blasting "Over the Top" off of Best of Hawkwind F&R
which I bought for 8 bucks. Yay.

(and now to close by paraphrasing)
two beers if I knew what I was thinkin',
Jason