HW: Live Legends gig

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Thu Mar 16 23:45:05 EST 2000

At 03:14 PM 3/16/00 -0500, Michael Crook wrote:
>Tim Gadd wrote:
>
>I've come to the conclusion that
>>no-one but Calvert can carry a Calvert song. I just get the strong feeling
>>whenever I hear someone else sing his songs, that they've learned the words,
>>but they don't really 'get' them. Oddly, it even seems to apply to Sonic
>>Attack, which Calvert didn't even write. Calvert sounded totally compelling
>>and menacing.
>
>Similarly, I don't think Calvert sounded right doing non-calvert songs,
Brainstorm for example.

Whereas I don't think Calvert sounded 100% right doing Brainstorm, I still
think he sounded closer to right than, let's say Alan Davey doing Hassan. I
guess it's a subjective thing, based largely on what one thinks the singer
understands about the song. Whereas I'm pretty sure that Calvert might know
what it's like to have a 'Brainstorm' of the sort Nik seemed to be
describing, I'm less convinced that Alan understood whatever the connections
were that Calvert had in his head between an eleventh century Persian
assassin master, modern terrorism, and OPEC. I don't blame him, because I'm
not sure I do, either :)

--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania