HW: Live Legends gig

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Fri Mar 17 03:30:12 EST 2000

>Similarly, I don't think Calvert sounded right doing non-calvert songs,
Brainstorm for example.
>Regarding Sonic Attack, I think the 'Live 1997'
>version with Ron Tree is the best I've heard for ages.

If that is Ron reading it on the Love in Space 3-track, I agree, though I
still don't think it's particularly effective. It sounds kinda like a cross
between Johnny Rotten and Vincent Price to me. Some of the most effective
parts of Calver's delivery were when he went right down to a sort of slurred
muttering. Everyone else seems to try to do it like a sideshow host trying
to rope in customers. Also, I strongly maintain that that poem DOES NOT WORK
AT ALL with any sort of 'music' behind it, especially not with drumming. It
needs a sparse, nearly empty soundscape; the odd squawk from an audio
generator. Except I suppose nowdays someone would have to programme
something to squawk at exactly 38 seconds into the performance.

Geez, I'm sounding like a bit of a 70's Hawkwind purist today, aren't I? :)
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania