HW novel

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Sat Mar 18 08:03:26 EST 2000

At 12:19 AM 3/18/00 -0000, Kevin Perry wrote:

>I've got QoD and LoD - and found TotH in my library some years ago...truly
>awful books,

Truly awful? You've got to be kidding! How can you not love passages like these:

   "The watching Hawklords shot startled looks at each other. Before they
could react, the alien music was upon them, blaring insanely out. Its
throbbing waves beat at their bodies, clubbing them as though with physical
blows. It pounded into their heads from the tape recorder, tearing apart
their brain cells. It made them feel sick and peirced their skin with
needles of sound.  They began falling from their starstreakers, unable to
maintain their co-orindation.
   All three tape recorders were now being played, and at the edges of their
departing senses the Hawklords recognized the strains of the rival pop
songs: 'Nights in White Satin' by The Moody Blues; Sounds of Silence, by
Simon and Garfunkel; Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen... all mixed in a clashing,
roaring, dissolving mass that grew louder and tore them apart.
   'We've... got ... to... stop... them!' Thunder Rider gasped in horror. "

Don't tell me that a band who can write lyrics like those on Chronicle of
the Black Sword deserve anything less silly than this.

--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania