HW: Live Legends gig, credits

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sat Mar 18 12:37:26 EST 2000

Tim offers...

>At 04:50 PM 3/17/00 -0800, Doug Pearson wrote:
>><Disclaimer: This message consists entirely of opinions.  The only facts
>>expressed are those indicating other singers who sang Calvert songs.>
>>
>>I have to say that I've liked a number of the renditions of Calvert songs
>>by other singers in Hawkwind ...
>>
>>"Reefer Madness" with Bridget,
>>"Damnation Alley" with Alan,
>>"Kadu Flyer" with Nik,
>
>Kadu flyer is a Bob-song? Ok, I'm pretty confused about this track. I just
>checked my CD and was surprised to find it didn't have composer credits, and
>I've sold my vinyl version, but my memory is that it was attributed to
>Rudolph/Mendlkau<sp>. On the tape Bob Calvert sent me, he remarked that
>Jamie Mendelkau was a Canadian writer who was a friend of his (I can't
>remember the context of this, and can't look it up, because Knut Gewers
>never returned the tape when I lent it to him for his Calvert site).
>However, on the tape which Nik made for me in 1984 he basically says that
>_he_ wrote Kadu Flyer and that it was incorrectly attributed to someone else
>on the label.

This was the topic of recent (4-6 months ago) discussion, on the heels of
discussing the oft-changing credits for certain rehashed/retitled tunes of
the 70s.  Certain deserving writers being neglected, and such...

You should probably check the archives at SPC, but I believe the consensus
was that pseudonyms for Brock (MacManus?), Turner (Mandelkau), and Moorcock
(Linda Steele, his wife) *were* all real people, but that these HW members
actually wrote the songs/lyrics.  So, Bob was prolly telling the truth, and
so is Nik.  Can't remember who MacManus (sp?) was...there were several ideas
presented here I believe.

And the idea was that it was done to keep royalties from being withheld from
certain HW members, right?  Filthy record company management!  :)

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I agree 100% with Doug that Alan could never sing Ejection worth a
damn, although he was perfectly fine on other songs from that period.