HW: RE: OPEN FORUM WITH DAVE

Thomas Guy Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Tue Mar 21 06:14:45 EST 2000

Dave,

Thanks for taking the bull by the horns, so to speak, and stemming the
rumours before they flow! I know that it's not for me to say who should and
who shouldn't be in the next re-incarnation of the mothership, but as this
is an open forum, I'd love to add my tuppenyworth!  Only my own personal
thoughts.

Martin Griffin, Lemmy, Simon and Harvey sounds just superb!  Top-notch line
up! Will you be calling on any other recent(ish) Hawks at all?  I know that
Alan would love to give it another go, and how about Huw? I thought that Huw
was fantastic at the Blackheath gig (even tho he wasn't in the mix for the
first of his songs!) Trouble is the choice between Alan and Lemmy is a
difficult one for some of us punters!

Terry Ollis is playing again too. I saw him perform with Alan, and Huw
recently, and even with Danny during their main set, it was just like 1985
revisited - except for one vital ingredient of course - your good self! I
recall Doug Smith saying a few years back (circa 1994/5), that Danny really
wanted to re-join, and return that double-drummer sound to the Hawks. Any
truth in that one?

And this is where I really stick my head above the parapet! Do you remember
Martin M. from Krel, who supported you on the Tepee Tour, in '92?  He's
still doing a lot of great music, and I always reckoned that he could fill
any role within HW. He'd give his right arm to be able to play (except that
if he lost his right arm - he couldn't play!)  I don't know if you ever got
a copy of the last Krel CD, but it was superb.  It was generally extremely
well received by those of us at the BOC-L who have heard it. Martin wrote
all of the Krel material that you heard performed on that tour.  THIS IS
ONLY MY OWN PERSONNAL THOUGHT!  Next to the Hawks, Krel is my favourite
space-rock band.

As to "Where Are They Now?". I agree that you should release a full version
of it. It's one of the best "undiscovered" Hawkwind tracks ever.

One last question, was "Make What You Can", from the Weird tapes, a
pre-cursor of "It's So Easy"?

Thanks for the past few decades of superb music, tours and a musical way of
life, and thanks in advance for the next few too.

Regards to Kris and yourself

Guy Thomas

guy.thomas at london.entoil.com <mailto:guy.thomas at london.entoil.com>