OFF: Lemmy in Priest movie

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Mar 22 13:48:04 EST 2000

Theo follows with...

>>>Vance claimed they'd been told to kill themselves in a hidden
>>>incantation on Stained Class which could be heard when he record was
>>>played backwards - a tragic effect of one of rock's most popular
apocryphal >>>stories.

>> My God...the fact that this case even went to trial is a real sad
>> indication of the state of our judicial system.
>
>This story is not apocryphal.

I think the news story means to say that rock artists' intential use of
backmasking is 'apocryphal.'  Or that Vance's claim of hearing these
messages is unsubstantiated.  Everyone knows the court case is real.

>It really happened.  It was the subject
>of a documentary on PBS several years ago.  In fact, the
>outcome vindicated the judicial system.

Pffttt...What I meant was...don't we have grand juries that are supposed to
determine what cases are even reasonable enough to go to trial?  And that
this one certainly should never have been put before a real courtroom,
seeing as the claims are so ridiculously based on 'subliminal backmasking'
and that sort of thing.

>The judge said, in effect,
>that even if the band had shouted the lyrics: 'go kill yourself' they
>couldn't be held accountable.  But then the judge said that he could
>find nothing in the lyrics of the song that were actionable.

And of course, JP didn't write the lyrics to the song indicated in the story.
At least it wasn't "Diamonds and Rust."  :)

Keith H. (FAA)