British Steel

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 23 10:33:58 EST 2000

Greetings Hawkfans,

As a follow-up to some of your Judas Priest comments.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that one of the results of the
case in question was Halford's departure from the band.

Can anyone confirm this?

As I say, this might not be true, but if it is, that's a big bummer.
Especially, after putting out the great "response" album "Painkiller" after
several weak, boring and lame releases like "Turbo".

I have read several interviews w/ Halford. Some of them in Cleveland's own
Scene magazine. Halford is TOTALLY anti-priest now and will NEVER perform a
JP song again. He had performed some JP tunes w/ his first post JP band
Fight. I have heard these versions and they pale in comparison to the
originals and Halford's voice was not up to standard, in any way. Maybe, he
was tired, end of the tour etc., but these were actually on an official
release. One would think that he would have kept them from being
included........

At any rate. I saw JP about 15 times, starting in 1980 on "Heavy Metal
Tuesday" in Cleveland at Cleveland Public Hall w/ the then unknown Def
Leopard, before they sucked, and the Scorpions after just releasing 'Animal
Magnetism'. Kickass show!

My last JP show was at Hara Arena in Dayton, Ohio on the Painkiller Tour w/
Megadeth and....was it Testament or Overkill?

That show was kickass too!

I have listened to post-Halford JP releases, both live and studio in record
stores. It's great that Halford's replacement is from Ohio, but he can NOT
even begin to compare w/ Halford.

JP put out some pretty killer albums. Sad Wings of Destiny, Screaming for
Vengeance and Painkiller come to mind. I actually like Rocka Rolla too!

JP's stage show was one of the best, as well. Right up there w/ Maiden in
their prime.

Any word on Halford's post Fight band? Any good?

Guess that might be a VH1 'where are they now question'. (joke)

Free Wheel Burning

Darrin