OFF: British Steel

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Mar 23 11:05:54 EST 2000

Greetings Darrin, from an ex-Clevelander,

>As a follow-up to some of your Judas Priest comments.
>
>I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that one of the results of the
>case in question was Halford's departure from the band.
>
>Can anyone confirm this?

I always thought he left because of musical differences, but then I don't
remember much about it, because of the 'several weak, boring and lame
releases like "Turbo"' you mentioned.  I lost interest for awhile.

>I have read several interviews w/ Halford. Some of them in Cleveland's own
>Scene magazine.

What's happened to Scene these days....doesn't seem to be nearly as good as
it once was.

>At any rate. I saw JP about 15 times, starting in 1980 on "Heavy Metal
>Tuesday" in Cleveland at Cleveland Public Hall

The 'Hall of Echoes.'  Miserable acoustics, that place.  Bryan Ferry, Jeff
Beck and SRV I remember seeing there.

>JP put out some pretty killer albums. Sad Wings of Destiny, Screaming for
>Vengeance and Painkiller come to mind. I actually like Rocka Rolla too!
>JP's stage show was one of the best, as well. Right up there w/ Maiden in
>their prime.

Yeah, I remember my first ever rock concert - Stanley Theatre in Pittsburgh,
1980. First, Iron Maiden (pre-Dickenson?, completely unknown), then the
'good' Whitesnake (Moody/Marsden et al.), and then Judas Priest.  Rob
Halford riding his Harley down the aisles, up a ramp and onto the
stage...then down the other side and back up the aisle.  Basically doing
laps around the audience.  That was pretty impressive to a sheltered 16-yr.
old from a rural Amish town.

>Any word on Halford's post Fight band? Any good?

I thought he was working with Trent Reznor now.  Never heard any of that.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I think Reznor is from Mercer, PA, which is about five miles away from
that rural Amish town I was talking about.  Is that right?