HW: Re: nappies and dave brock

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Mar 24 22:10:03 EST 2000

Colm calmly says...

>this whole discussion about napster no ones mentioned that if the artist in
>question has some of their back catalogue deleted or there is no way to
>purchase an exclusive remix or live version of a track then i think getting
>hold of it on napster isn't wrong. Surely in that case whats the other
>options? Going to record fairs or online auctions and paying a small fortune
>for it? Surely its the artist/record labels fault for making these tracks so
>hard to obtain?

This last statement just sounds too silly to ignore.  And I'm not saying
it's way off-base or anything (no personal attacks from me!)...it's just
such a weird way of looking at it.  As if there artists were purposefully
denying music fans from hearing their music.  No, I think that completely
unknown bands that start out making 200 copies of their first stuff then end
up years later becoming popular and 'growing' to the point at which they
develop the opinion that their earliest stuff is 'pants' and who gives a
crap if anyone hears it now.  Except that Kompletists just *have* to have
it, and so for some reason they're remiss if they don't spend the time and
expense to dust off the tapes, remaster them, pester the hell out of some
small label to make up 1000 copies with new artwork just to please a few (we
all know how easy it is to do, right Andy?).  Porcupine Tree seems the
perfect example...what a crime it is that Wilson hasn't put his main focus
on restoring/re-releasing YHD to CD and then Voyage 34!!  Christ, you'd
think the guy wanted to make *new* music.  What a concept!  OK, sarcasm mode
off....

>Yes i agree with many people on this list Hawkwind is Dave Brock! No
>question! But don't you just wish that Bob was still alive? Was he last
>contribution to hawkwind, farenheit 451?

Wouldn't that be Ray Bradbury? :)

>Out of all the albums they did in the eighties i only rate:
>
>1. live chronicles
>2. Xenon codex
>3. Space bandits(don't you wish simon house did more on this one?)

Palace Springs beats the hell out of all of these, IMHO.  Maybe it wasn't
released until the 90s, but it's '89 product as far as I'm concerned.

>On levitation the drums are too low down in the mix, maybe they wanted to
>play down the fact that ginger baker was playing them?

Why?  Ginger played them very well, perfect for that album, in such an
atypical (if that's possible) Hawkwind fashion.  An oddity, certainly, but a
damn good oddity.  (And so what if GB turned out to be loser, touring as
GB's HW after being sacked.)  For a year or so, it was an interesting and
worthwhile experiment.  Better than the Nik 80s experiment.  (Note I've
learned to enjoy Nik's work in recent years, but that 80's stuff with
HW....yikes!)

>I am the only person that also thinks Out/intake isn't too hot either?

No, it's another Zones half-assed job.  But Cajun Jinx is a hidden gem, and
there are a couple other interesting things there.

>They still are the best band in the universe though. Just wish bob was still
>there though. If anyone disagrees with anything i say feel free make your
>views known.

I don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't wish that Bob were still here.
Except maybe some people that had to work with him.  :)

Keith

ObCD-EP: Sky Cries Mary - Seeds