HW What you're missing

Mon Mar 27 01:57:55 EST 2000

I keep seeing odd ones from this series in shops.  Not being a
'collecting
freak' I dont but stuff thats either cack quality or virtually the same
as
summat else.  Somrtime it would be good if someone posted a critical
'non-purist' review of the series for us waverers, paying particular to
recording quality and originality (compared to previous mainstream live
albums).

Because, in the meantime I'm not buying any of them!
---------------------------------
Unbiased?
OK - here we go.
Hawkwind 'Collectors Series Vol 2' the double CD from the '82 tour is
great quality and excellent songs/performances and I'd say esential
purchase for every Hawkfan
'Collectors series Vol 1' subtitled 'The Complete Live '79', again a
double CD, is, compared to the original 'Live '79', raw, unpolished and
in its most basic state. A lot of people who've boought it from us have
been openly disappointed with the quality. Personally, I think that it
is raw, but that it captures the spirit of the band well and, for the
wall-of-sound lovers among us, is a good album. Good album, as long as
you like it rough but not BAD.
'Glastonbury '90' - a single CD. The most godawful travesty of an album
to grace this good land and whoever allowed this debacle to come onto
the market, wants their head looking at. The guy who originally taped
it, a customer of ours who is not credited on the sleeve notes, admits
its crap quality but that the band's performance was, that night/day,
out of this world. "So What" I said, "if you can't actually hear the
bloody band" (pardon my French!!). Anyway, the story is that the guy did
it, enthused about what an amazing performance it was, and somehow
everyone's been carried along by this, and it got released. What irks me
even more is that it got released at full price AND without any warning
sticker on the front saying 'less than studio quality sound' or whatver
choice phrase they use these days. I'm sorry, but in album buying terms,
there can be no excuse for this thing to be on the market and the guy at
Classic Rock who reviewed it and slated it, got it spot on. To be
avoided like the plague.
Now THERE'S unbiased for you!!!!!
On something connected with all this, and the guy earlier who didn't
know about the release of 'Xitintoday', let me point out that if you
have your name and address registered with CD Services, you will get our
free review catalogues (and keep on getting them as long as you buy
something)
and it is these that give the info and full reviews. New one due soon,
but several past ones still around.
Toodly plops,
Andy G.