HW: Glastonbury '90

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 27 11:25:04 EST 2000

'Glastonbury '90' - a single CD. The most godawful travesty of an album to
grace this good land and whoever allowed this debacle to come onto the
market, wants their head looking at. The guy who originally taped it, a
customer of ours who is not credited on the sleeve notes, admits its crap
quality but that the band's performance was, that night/day, out of this
world. "So What" I said, "if you can't actually hear the bloody band"
(pardon my French!!). Anyway, the story is that the guy did it, enthused
about what an amazing performance it was, and somehow everyone's been
carried along by this, and it got released. What irks me even more is that
it got released at full price AND without any warning sticker on the front
saying 'less than studio quality sound' or whatver choice phrase they use
these days. I'm sorry, but in album buying terms, there can be no excuse for
this thing to be on the market and the guy at Classic Rock who reviewed it
and slated it, got it spot on. To be avoided like the plague. Now THERE'S
unbiased for you!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, Are you off your soapbox, yet!?

There are plenty of other releases that sound worse and that totally suck.
Where's Dave Anderson when you need him....? I have never, in all the years
that it has been since I first purchased it in 1988 been able to listen to
"Bring me the Head of Yuri". In fact, when I first got it, I paid full price
and took it straight back and swapped it for "Zones/Stonehenge" -Flicknife.
Boy was I glad to get that one!

Since Dave Brock and company recharged my batteries during their '95 US
tour, I have been going for HW releases like the true Hawkfan that I
am.......

So, I started keeping my eye out for 'Yuri' in a used shop for cheap. I got
it for $6.00 some years back in Tampa. Still have not been able to listen to
it, but I GOT IT!

Guess, I am like Hawkman or Mike Coleman ;)

Glastonbury '90: Stop your wining! When I got both "Thrilling Stories" and
"G. '90" (Thanx Stephan!). I spun both to cassette, so I could check them
out in the truck, during the next day's ride........

The verdict is in space cadets: If you want to hear a kickass set by the
1990 HW linup.

Get this disc!

The performance is truly incredible!

YES, it is an audience recording. No, the quality is not great. But give me
a break. Since when have you had a big collection of A+ SBD Hawkwind
recordings?

No really! My sound quality test comes when the tape goes in the truck. If
it sounds good in the truck, it's a keeper. The only thing this recording
needs is a subwoofer backed w/ some power.

I agree, something should have been said upfront about the less than
superior quality. But that's why I read this list.

I went for the Live '82 immediately upon release. Despite what some of you
think, I like the energy level of that time period, as well as Huw. Yes,
Nik's timing on the sax is not so good and I hate that darn whistle at the
beginning of "Brainstorm". That could have been edited out. My point is,
that due to the cuts that apparently were supervised by the Baron himself, I
would rather listen to the complete show on cassette, than to the disc w/
the missing tracks. The sound quality of the disc is better, but its a
tradeoff. Nobody has said anything about warning stickers stating, "Buyer
Beware! Incomplete Concert!"

I have not listened to Live '82 since the first day that I got it, even
though the sound quality is pretty crisp. However, I have listened to
"Glastonbury '90" numerous times.

And I have to tell you I am a sound quality, audiophile, DAT tapin' freak.
Usually, I don't listen to recordings that are less than superior. I still
have not made it all the way through the Milton Keynes show...just because
of that. (No slam to anyone, I am very glad to have it, w/ all it's
wonderful graffix;)

Also, I highly recommend "Thrilling Stories". I agree w/ Keith about
"Brainstorm" seemingly being on every disc, but this version is a bit
different to many that have not heard live versions of this ERA. From there
the disc really takes off. I love the version of "Steppenwolf". "Uncle Sam's
on Mars" is low energy as someone put it, but it is different and spacey. I
quite like it. The real jewel is "Time For Sale". This one is essential for
any Hawkwind fan and especially the Calvert fans. It's a pretty good SBD
too.

I am just happy that Dave is starting to release some live material and I'll
take what I can get ;)

I believe that if someone is going to criticize something, he or she should
point out both sides and let the reader decide. Isn't there a HW tune titled
"The Right to Decide"?

Like Dennis Miller says, "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

Peace,

D-Rider

np: Widespread Panic 11/13/99 Pompano Beach, FL (DAT)