HW: Glastonbury '90

david hall dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Mar 27 16:25:21 EST 2000

Ho hum, I've posted on the Collectors Series before. Andy G, in my opinion,
gives a pretty balanced opinion....I don't always agree, hey but that's what
makes discussion interesting. I was playing the Complete 79 CD the other day
and although rough in places is well worth the dosh, in fact worth more than
that. Live 82 I'm not too sure about.....I remember it as a good tour, with
Nik excellent on the flute, Ghost Dance too was great. I have tape of a
radio broadcast (Radio Clyde), ha, you'll probably all have it (especially
Bernhard) from that tour in which the performances are better....it's a pity
that complete show wasn't dug out of the vaults.
I won't be buying Glastonbury, it's been twenty years since I automatically
bought stuff with Hawkwind on it. That's the legacy of Zones, Text Of
Festival, Yuri Gagarin etc etc. I haven't played Text or Zones all the way
through for about 15 years.
I know some of you don't listen to much else apart from Hawkwind, in which
case you'll be happy buying any new or recycled output. But for the rest,
and I suspect the majority, there's masses of other stuff around to spend
yer hard earned pennies on.
When Hawkwind are on form they are unstoppable....they do, however,
sometimes miss the mark in the quality control department.

A quick top five fav's new and renewed

1. Porcupine Tree
2. John Paul Jones (10 -more? string bass)
3. Gong (life in the old fella yet!)
4. Blur (transition from pop to psychedelia almost complete)
5. Should I reserve this place for our heroes?

Dave

n.p. King Black Acid   (thanks Andy!)