HW: Re: Amon/Calvert questions

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Mar 27 22:29:15 EST 2000

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:25:18 +0200, Denis Regenbrecht <denis at D-RIDER.DE>
wrote:
>>The Die Losung CD is excellent very different fo Bob HW output a bit more
>>proggy his vocaal style seems alot gruffer the song urban indian is worth
>>the price of admission alone
>
>I totally agree. The album is reminiscent to Bob's later solo LP's,
>although "Die Lösung" isn't as minimalistic and has a lot more of guitar.

I agree with the "proggy" part, but I'm afraid I'm with John on this album ...

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:13:42 -0500, John Majka <flossbac at NLCI.COM> wrote:
>I have the Die Losung CD with Calvert singing and I really don't care for it
>at all.  Honestly, it's one of the worst albums I own... I only keep it for
>the Calvert connection, but his vocals and lyrics can't do much to save a
>record so badly done.

I don't think it sounds anything like Bob's 80s solo work (which I like
very much), and it has Ozric Tentacles members all over it, which is a big
minus for me (I'm probably alone on this list for not liking that band, so
definitely take my assessment with a grain of salt!).  The song "Urban
Indian" IS the one thing on it I don't despise.

... and back to the post by Denis Regenbrecht <denis at D-RIDER.DE>:
>>The Calvert Queen Elizabeth Hall is a single album in a Gatefold sleeve
>>which came with a Tee shirt which quickly disintergrated. It features Bobs
>>solo works including the rather good Diamond Mine...
>>One of my all time fave gigs
>
>That LP has been reissued on CD by B.G.O. Records and is a must-buy for
>every Calvert-fan.

YES!!!

>That Ninja-drummer Roland you mentioned is the in fact
>the drum-machine used during that gig. It's a "holdover" from Inner City
>Unit times. Their drum-machine was also called Roland.

Close.  The humongous Japanese music equipment conglomerate Roland (who
also make Boss effect pedals) were the premier drum machine manufacturer of
the early/mid-80s, and their "X0X" series (606, 707, 808, 909) are still
used widely-used by techno DJ's and the like.  Big Black also referred to
their drum machine as "Roland" (popular name!).  However, Inner City Unit
never used a drum machine live.  Their 'NewAnatomy' LP was the only
recording to feature a drum machine, which was a Linn Drum, not a Roland
(except for an 808 on one track).  After ICU & Nik split, they played a few
gigs as a trio before drummer Mick Stupp quit.  That was when they (Pond &
Reeves) started using a drum machine live, shortly before they hooked up
w/Calvert (who they had already backed while still in ICU).

>I hope there's
>someone out there who will release the whole gig.

I have a CD-R on Lone Wolf with two Calvert gigs on it.  At least one (and
possibly both) features the QE Hall lineup of Steve Pond (guitar) and Fred
Reeves (keyboards, bass).  Great stuff.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com