HW: OFF: Einstein's Secret Orchestra

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Mar 28 17:01:10 EST 2000

K Henderson wrote:

> It turns out that they commonly perform at 'devivals' for the Church of the
> Sub-Genius, which from what I gather (from just 15 minutes of surfing) is
> best described as "Weird Al Yankovic meets Scientology" with a guy named Bob
> Dobbs playing the role of L. Ron.  And having just read Bare-faced Messiah
> in its entirely during the last month, I found it to be a total gas.

Hey, that's "Bob" to you, pink boy! ;-)

> www.subgenius.com

Oddly enough, I got all my SubGenius material when I was still in the
UK.  _The Book of the SubGenius_ is a must-have, and, indeed, verrily a
gas.  _Two Fisted Tales of "Bob"_ (fiction set in the SubGenius mythos)
is also funny, although I believe that is now available in its totality
on the WWW!  (I still fondly remember the Lovecraft pastiche.)

One of the money-back guarantee tenets of the Church of the SubGenius
was that X-Day, or the day the X-Ists would come down from the sky in
their flying saucers and carry up all SubGeniuses (and smite the pinks),
would be at 7 a.m., July 5th, 1998.  That was a date you could bank on
(praise "Bob!").

Naturally, the world is still here, and amazingly devoid of X-Day
devastation.

I always wondered how they'd face up to that date (set long ago), so I
was very amused to cruise on over to their WWW site a little after X-Day
and read the spin doctoring.  Of course, it was very funny.  But, the
"lead theory" on "what didn't happen" was that "Bob" had actually read
the date upside-down: it wasn't 1998, but rather 8661! ;-)

Or kill me!

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Throw this computer screen against the wall now!
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa