Combo gtr/vcl/songwriters

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Mar 29 12:12:31 EST 2000

On 29 Mar 00, at 12:29, Paul Mather wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, K Henderson wrote:
>
> => I was just considering that out of the zillions of guitarists that
> also sing => and are primary songwriters, there just aren't very many
> that I consider to => be really strong in all three categories.  There
> are lots of them that are => adequate singers such that I can still be
> a huge fan of their music, but the => ones with great voices are a
> real rare commodity.
>
> Warren Haynes springs immediately to mind: great guitarist; great
> singer; great songwriter!

Agreed!  It always floored me that the Allmans let WH sing about one
song every set, when he was arguably the best singer in the group--
certainly a better singer than Dickie, and maybe better than Greg.
His songwriting and guitar abilities go without saying...

> Finally, although he is not a "classic" singer by any means, I think
> Nick Saloman's voice melds wonderfully with the music he plays.  Maybe
> the question should be, "who are the great
> guitarist/songwriter/singers- in-context?" :-)

Hey what about Geddy?  Oops, he plays bass...

theo