BRAIN/BOC: interview w/ Deborah Frost

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Mon May 1 15:45:48 EDT 2000

At 09:48 5.1.00 -0400, you wrote:
>How much did Deb play guitar on PoW?  Electric?  Acoustic?  Any leads?
I think she did slide guitar work on some tracks. that much is all i know.

>> And I'm also playing bass on
>> some songs, which I never realized I would enjoy so much.
>
>Did Deb play bass on PoW, or is she just doing this live?
Well if she did bass live, then David would be doing guitar? I think it
would probably have been just on PoW.

>One would still like to see BOC "mix it up" more, but they have always

>Does this mean we'll soon hear the definitive version of "You're Not the
>One I Was Looking For"?  ;-)
Or Debbie Denise w/ a horn arrangement :)

>> Music Street Journal:What was the last concert that you attended?
>> Deborah Frost:Blue Oyster Cult at the Bottom Line
>
>Kind of an ironic ending to the interview - after Deb has some strong
>words (as always) for "Albert's old band", it just happens to be the
>last band she saw live.  Timing is everything, I guess...
Maybe she went to heckle by shouting You need more  'stunning'lead guitar
from Eric:)

Otherwise, im happy to hear that Don R and Albert are still friendly w/
each other. Forchissakes, they've known each other since college! To my
mind, the central sound dynamic revolved around them an' Lanier playing off
each other. Think of how much it all just LOCKED together, the keybd./
guitar /drum lines  on those first 10 LPs + the Stalk Forrest Group
material; they were/is outtasight..

The Pink Roses, ROck and Roll is Dead and More Than Truth are a lot like
that too
though in the 1st one, its a good expansion of a Brainsurgeonish
soundscaping.... also developed in Billy Song I think. The overall song
construction on this album, mebbe due to production (and talent, too) seems
to be more "environmental" giving the lyrics and solos, where appropriate
room to slither/grow/resonate. PoW is definately the most busy CD(s)
they've done so far. Also, Albert's drum solo is probably the best studio
drum solo I've heard since BJ Wilson's in "Power Failure"
yeah yeah yeah yeah. Pardon me as im frozen in my tracks by the completely
unexpected soound of "Fly like an Eagle" coming out of the radio station
coursing through my stereo-- If on'es thinking of radio ROCK and roll is
dead. it isnt even Rock any more. it's the "and" of music... a placeholder.

Jason "Ain't to Proud to Write Policy papers" Scruton

NP: Rolling Stones - "I wanna be your man"