Reunion

Melvyn Vincent mel at MVA.U-NET.COM
Mon May 1 20:23:36 EDT 2000

I had a conversation last October with someone 'in the know' at a
Bedouin/Snorkwind gig (Alan Davey/Danny Thompson/Huw Lloyd Langton/Terry
Ollis sharing the bill).
I'd discussed a number of HW related subjects with this guy during the
interval.On the subject of the reunion,which at that time was scheduled for
Dec 99,he intimated a fair degree of doubt to myself about it ever actually
happening. He seemed to imply that it wasnt so much a problem with members
past & present wanting to do it,but Dave Brocks 'enthusiasm' (or lack of
it) being the one obstacle to this event ever reaching fruition. He was
trying to very diplomatic on this subject and thus seemed unwilling to
enlighten me with the possible reasons.

However.....after the HW Croydon gig in November 99 , I was really
fortunate enough to bump into DB himself in the corridor.For about 5 mins
or so it was just the two of us chatting. I did ask about the reunion and
all he would say was that it was a real problem to get everyone together as
well as provide living accomodation for a period ,in order that everyone
could rehearse together for a time.
( a bit like getting all your old classmates together again.........a lot
easier said than done!)
All of this costs money too of course. One thing he clearly made a point of
saying was that Lemmy "wanted a lot of money to do it".
So I can only suppose that parity of payment for past & present members to
do this reunion is a major dilemma when one prominent figure feels his
worth is greater than the whole.

Personally,I think......if the reunion gig/tour had happened during the
release of the "Epoch Eclipse" albums last year, the PR value of the
exercise would have yielded a lot for the band and fans alike.
HW is now past that 30 year milestone,the brief surge of publicity has
subsided and the whole idea has gone completely off the boil. I would not
blame DB for thinking that the  idea would probably cost more to do than it
could actually make.

regards

mel