Theo's fave band!

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue May 2 13:23:29 EDT 2000

Somebody on another list tries to preach to the choir:

While not a drummer, I have played one on TV.  Not really, but I think
I'm like a lot of guys in that I would like to be a drummer, and I
make a study of them when attending shows.  Over the hundreds of
concerts I've attended, many of the drummers have just faded from
memory, but nobody ever forgets seeing Neil Peart live.

The impression left is indelible.  First, Rush needs the big halls and
stadiums because Peart's drum kit alone consumes about a acre of
space.  And for those who might write that off as grandiose, I say,
"Wait a minute. Have you seen him play?"

'Awe-freaking-inspiring' . While we all enjoy seeing people
slack-jawed at OH's gig's, it's another thing entirely to see ten or
fifteen thousand people not so much slack-jawed, but just caught up in
the moment and obviously wondering if the guy is human and if what
they are witnessing falls within known laws of physics.

Geddy has his critics.  Alex is definitely a great player.  But Neil
stands alone amongst the critics as well as his brethren.

Having made these comments, if you are of the persuasion that feels
drummers place is to be heard and not seen, then don't go to see
Rush.

Don't get me wrong.  Some of the best do well with a minimal kit, and
if any of you have seen the Sub-Dudes you know that a simple
tambourine, one drum stick and a denim clad thigh can sound like a
twelve piece kit.