BOC: "Richard Melzter is Watching You:" BOC-ish things from the book

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Tue May 2 22:25:51 EDT 2000

FOr fun, profit, and procrastination, feat your optic orbs on this
funtastic fun:
Also if ill tick off copyright people with thus. a thousand apologies You
can confiscate my copies of Spectres and Agents of Fortune or Pet Sounds as
punishment.

All (neat/hefty)  ref's to BOC alums/ song lyrics that are interesting:

p. 8 - so like fisrt night at Monterey Marty Balin says to me and Sandy
Pearlman, Crawdaddy jerkoes who have ventured West solely for IT, that
universe-manifesting festival 9Pop) which they fucked the film up of
royally,he says "What guys, you have no place to crash? Well my all means
cop your z's on the carpeted floor of J. Airplane's motor lodge suite... "

p.12 [the meetin' of Pearlam  an Meltzer!]
        I had this Modern Painting class with Allan Kaprow, the originator of the
Environment and the Heppaning; Sandy Pearlman ... was also enrolled. ONe
night me and Sandy were doing a paper on the reationship between Fauvism
and Futurism..., and we;d already exhausted too many hours talking it out,
yielding nothing wirth staying up and actually writing, when Sandy says, "I
think the real bridge is surf music."  Ha ha we get a few yucks out of that
and head fr our respectuve cells to grind out some Nodoz assisted standard
academci drivel on aspects of color and space in blah blah blah.. Not that
we lacked the , uh, courage to haind in somethign laced with rock-roll
refs, it just seems too silly.

p.32 Once upon a time while [a Cream LP was playing] Memphis Sam donated
the comment: "'Strange Brew' is nice."

p.35 Just before the end [of "R. Meltzer Intverviewd by A.Warhol"], at the
urging of my colleague Pearlman, there's a curical metnion of the band he
managed, Soft White Underbelly, the v. first intstance of my being
cajoled/suckered/drafgged into shamelessly hyping these bozos... no, in '68
they weren't bozos yet.

p. 352  I'd met jackson [browne] through a buddy named John Weisenthal, who
some years before, when they surfed together, taught him the rudiments of
guitar. John was an early member of the first band Pearlman managed, {SWU},
as for one gig was I. In '68 the Underbelly backed Jacson at an East Coast
show are two promoted or arranged by Pearlman, who wanted to manage him.
... [Jackson B.] was also there the night Underbelly drummer A;bert
Bouchard dropped acid to try and devise a strategy for beating the draft at
his physical in the morning (see Aesth. of Rock, p. 264).

p. 355 [afer talking about Knickerbocker Dark beer and the fridge in a
house in Smithtown NY belongong to SP], And it happened like this,
Pearlman, a one-time best friend who currently owse me between 4 and 6
thousand dollars, was out at the [SUNY stnoy]' brook for a Leary lecture.
... Afterweards, the former student body prexy graciously offerend to drive
the guy home. But first a thirst stop at the Pearlman manse and -- voila!--
6 Kncker Darks.

p.361 Another thing that estranged me from Pearlman was my championing
(over BOC) a band I personally brought to his stable, but who never made
him a dime, the Dictators. Both the Cult and the Dictators were arguable
comedy bandsm but that latter were serious about their comedy (and
funnier), grounded more in wrestling ... than "funny Nazi" arcana or
mock-metal flummery.

p. 11   1Time marches on, its 73bor 74, and we [Richard and Lou Reed!] aint
spoke for a while when this interview appears in Zoo World, ... wherein Lou
accuses me of (this is precious) PLAGIARISM. I've done some lyrics for
[BOC], a couple of LP's were out by then, maybe 3 songs're mine, and it
seems tohim I coudlnt've writ diddleyrot--- not a wonderful rock and ROLL
lyric!!-- without having sat at his feet , basked in his omnipoetic
brilliance. Dunno, I;'ve looked thru the Reed Omnibook (both then and now)
and all I can imagine havine stole from this paranoid lunatic  is the word
"autograph" from the Velvet's "New Age"... In the Cult's "satirway to the
Star's theres the line "you can have my autograph" -- so I guess I mustve
also stole  can and have. Shame on me!
        ...Lester Bangs... told me abotu this show where Lou tells him "Meltzer is
number one, Lester you're number two, Perlman is number three-- I hate all
your guts."

p. 219 The catalog number on teh Stalk Forest single: Elektra EKM -45693

p.257 The great singer-comedian David Roter (who will someday get the
recognition he sure ain't gettin conducting church rap sessions on
contemporary dating etiqueette) was once walkin down Bleekcker St. reading
the NY Post and paying no attention to where he was going when he walked
right into a head-high protruding air conditioner, falling to the pavement
in PAIN for his efforts. Across the street an Afroamerican window washer
cracked up and pointed at poor david for all to see, promtping Davey to
spontaneoulsy almost come back with "what are you laughing at> Your face is
the color of shit!" He had  the presence of mind to keep the line to
himself (isnt it a great  line tho, huh?) but in any event thats gotta be
one of the very few applications of  the word shit  ... not brought into
play vy Redd Foxx on his  current "You Gotta Wash your Ass" live elpee...