OFF: Theo's fave band! / drummer

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed May 3 21:06:37 EDT 2000

On Wed, 3 May 2000 15:40:56 -0400, Bolts of Ungodly Vision
<js3619 at WIZVAX.NET> wrote:
>Stickin' straight Rock and roll
>hoohah, Ian Paice is good, when the engineers allow his drums to be heard
>these days.

I'm not so sure I'd call Ian Paice a "straight Rock and Roll" drummer.  IMO
he's one of those rock drummers like Mitch Mitchell (or Al!) who could
really jazz things up.  In much the same way that some of my favorite jazz
drummers like the aforementioned Ronald Shannon Jackson or Elvin Jones
could really rock out.

And, dammit, most of my favorite drummers are people I've played with (the
best way to experience a great drummer, at least for me), so I'll keep the
list short and recommend checking out Chris Guttmacher's work on the first
two Cul de Sac albums ('Ecim' and 'I Don't Want To Go To Bed' ... and
speaking of Cul de Sac: ROUNDER RECORDS SUCKS!  DIE BASTARDS!).

        -Doug (who hasn't ever really heard a drum solo he likes)
         ceres at sirius.com