OFF: Virus alert (genuine)

Richard Lockwood rich-l at GEOCITIES.COM
Thu May 4 06:38:28 EDT 2000

We've just been hit by a nasty script virus here.  If you get an email with
the subject "ILOVEYOU" - DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENT, even if it comes from
someone you trust.  It relies on Windows Script Host to run some VBScript
which will rename files (over ALL your drives, local and remote), downloads
a couple of files from the internet, overwrites some files, probably some
other stuff too - we're still looking at it now here, but DON'T OPEN IT.
It'll also send itself to everyone in your address book (we think).

Obviously - you shouldn't open unexpected attachments anyway, but there's
always someone!

Cheers,

Rich.

== + == + Normal service is now resumed == + == +