OFF: Musicstock Mishap?

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu May 4 07:34:54 EDT 2000

On 3 May 00, at 19:33, Brian Halligan wrote:

> Theo wrote:
> >The local paper is saying that the Musicstock 2000 festival,
> >featuring SLOTERDIJK is in jeaopardy.  Apparently, local pols are
> >concerned about the impact of all these raging hippies on the local
> >ecology!  There is a positive end to the story--promoters are at
> >least engaging the politicians in dialog to make sure the gig still
> >happens.  I'll keep my ears open...
>
> Do you mean to say that Cayuga County, home of the Cayuga County
> Fairgrounds, which has hosted bands such as Metallica, Alice Cooper,
> Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Van Halen, etc. is worried about the crowd
> that will come see hippie jam bands? This isn't Kid Rock at Woodstock
> '99....

Yeah, well, you get the idea!  Actually, the beef had to do with
securing the necessary permits.  Cayuga county requires a permit
for any event that will draw more than 1,000 people, and the folks
putting on Musicstock didn't get the permit.  But I think it will get
sorted out.  Musicstock is a charity fundraiser, with proceeds going
to area food banks.  So, I doubt too many pols want to be labled as
the grinches who stole food from poor people, esp. in an election
year!  I suspect that this will turn out okay

> And if they're worried about drugs, I bet what gets taken at
> Musicstock won't cause any riots except at the concession stand. ;-)

!

theo