Theo's fave band! / drummer

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Thu May 4 14:08:51 EDT 2000

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:00:02PM -0700, John H. McCartney wrote:
> [Carl Palmer] Truly one of the very few who can
> do an *interesting* drum solo.
>
> Another favorite I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned is Bill
> Bruford, the man can play anything, in amy time signature.

Someone once told me about a gig in the early 70s at which
Bruford played an exquisite 20-minute solo -- on one cymbal.
Wish I'd been there!

There's also Walter Keiser, Andreas Vollenweider's long-time
drummer.  Vollenweider always surrounds himself with excellent
musicians (as does Joe Jackson), many of them playing percussion
of one form or another.  The lineup's always changing (even more
fluid than HW), so you never know quite what you're going to get
at one of his shows -- but you know it'll be brilliant.
Keiser's the only one who's stuck around for enough tours that I
remember his name :-(

Besides, he's usually the only one playing a traditional drum
kit, if a bit untraditionally set up.  I might be wrong, but I
seem to recall at least one gig where he had a bass drum up
where he could play it with sticks.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
to me, Charlie Brown represented the courage to be sincere in the face of
ridicule. he was NOT a loser.
thank you, Mr. Schulz.
        - Robert C. Mayo