Theo's fave band! / drummer

John H. McCartney scorch at TE-CATS.COM
Thu May 4 14:37:55 EDT 2000

> On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:00:02PM -0700, John H. McCartney wrote:
> > [Carl Palmer] Truly one of the very few who can
> > do an *interesting* drum solo.
> >
> > Another favorite I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned is Bill
> > Bruford, the man can play anything, in amy time signature.
>
> Someone once told me about a gig in the early 70s at which
> Bruford played an exquisite 20-minute solo -- on one cymbal.
> Wish I'd been there!

The last time I saw Palmer (ELP Black Moon tour, about 6' away fom
me), he did his usual drum solo (you know, where he ends by pumping
the double bass drums widly while he strips off his shirt, and then
starts working the gongs.) Then, after some heavy breathing and toweling
off whilst the crowd went nuts, he started up again, but played only the
rims of the drums and the edges of the cymbals. He went on like that for
another 10 minutes or so, I'd never seen anything like it.

Of course he then spoiled the magic by finishing up playing, of all things,
a MIDI'ed *tambourine*. Technology run amok.....

scorch