HW: MM

Dave Berry daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK
Thu May 4 16:26:30 EDT 2000

At 18:12 04/05/00 , Arin Komins wrote:
>Out of curiosity, does anyone on the list not like MM's writing?
>(...and why?)

Well, I don't like most of MM's writing (or music).  I used to like his Eternal Champion stuff, but these days (or at least, the last time I looked at it), I don't rate it at all.  I don't like the Pyat books either; they read like someone trying to be a better writer than he actually is.  (A bit like my computer programs ...)

The Cornelius books though, are a different kettle of fish; I really enjoyed them, especially The Condition Of Muzak.  Although I must admit it is several years since I last read them, so it's possibly that my taste has changed in the meantime.  I also enjoyed the romps set in the alternate victorian world with airships and the like (are they called the Steel Tsar series?).  They were fun, and not particularly overblown.

The HW connection is relevant though.  Warrior was probably the second HW album I heard, and at the time I was still enjoying the eternal champion books.

Dave.