OFF: Virus alert (genuine)

Andrew Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Thu May 4 23:56:19 EDT 2000

>But why is MS so popular? It has brutally taken over the market and more
or less
>forces people to use its software.  It is attacked because of its insecurity
>because the company claims that it is secure, when it's obviously not.
This is
>sometimes even the reason why viruses are written in the first place.

I disagree.  They got where they are by positioning themselves properly,
identifying markets, and executing things competently for the most part.

I'll be the first to tell you that windows NT isn't as mature a network
platform as netware or even banyan... but its getting there.

>> Get real
>> people, MS has good products and has immeasurably improved the computer
>> industry.
>
>what the hell? Computers were actually cool before Windows.

No, computer people were cooler before windows. :)

They're allowing non-geeks into the mix.  damn them.

>> Yes, there are many companies with products better but MS
>> software is overall pretty damn good.
>> John
>
>Perhaps, but only when it rips off that better software.

Not true.  I must admit, Microsoft's internally developped
Allegiance is one strikingly original (and cool) game, to this
point game of the year.  If you haven't looked at this, it deserves
a look.  And they did it in-house (not outside developed like
Age of Empires and Asheron's Call were)....

"To dwell within Samsara, however, is to
 be subject to the works of those mighty
 among dreamers."

 - Mahasamatman, in Zelazny's "Lord of Light"

Andrew Apold