HW: The Calvert Tape

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Fri May 5 03:07:50 EDT 2000

Knut has returned my Robert Calvert 'interview' tape from 1982, and as I
have the whole thing available again now, I was considering putting it up on
the web as a series of sound files. The tape, which Bob titled 'Ramblings at
Dawn', is about 85 minutes worth of uninterrupted monologue about his work,
from the first days with Hawkwind, up to the release of 'Hype'. Obviously I
used quite a lot of it for the radio show back in '82, but there is a lot I
didn't use - for instance, stuff relating to his one-man shows, and sections
where he flew off at tangents, or frewheeled at such length as to be
unfriendly for radio. I thought I might make the whole thing available,
basically in its original, uninterrupted form, but divided into
topic-related individual files, wherever possible.

This might take me a while to do, and I admit I also had it in mind to
construct a much larger Hawkwind-related sound project, using Bob's tape
plus the unbroadcast interview tapes from Nik, Dave and Mike Moorcock, but
this seems a bit too much to tackle just now. In any event, for both this
idea, and any future project, can I just ask, which media format do people
prefer the files to be in? In the past I have used Real Audio, though at the
time it was mainly because it was an economical alternative to .wav. I don't
have a MP3 recording program. My recollection is that that format is rather
heftier than realaudio, and as I have to pay by the MB for uploads, I'd
prefer to keep the size down. Also, because this is just voice stuff, and
none of it of particularly good sound quality, real audio would probably be
perfectly adequate - but if this is a really unpopular format, let me know.

Also, I suppose, I just need to know whether thereis much interest in the
Calvert stuff, as it's going to take a while to organise.

Tim
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania