OFF: Virus alert (genuine)

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Fri May 5 09:00:10 EDT 2000

>Because of the system of file permissions on UNIX-style operating
>systems this sort of attack is not possible. Writing the first virus
>for LINUX would give someone a lot of kudos, people _must_ be trying
>but they ain't got there yet.

I would have to agree on the permissions thing, FAT is a really lousy
thing to build an operating system on, FAT32 isn't much better.

NTFS was an improvement....  but it wasn't until 2000 that they finally
added activedirectories.  Unfortunately, most people out there are not
running this.

However, look at it this way.  If having such a file system were hurting
their business, they would have fixed it by now.  But you can't say
that it has.  Other operating systems with far better filesystems don't
get their sales.  So why should they be concerned?

The average age of a Microsoft employee is under 29.  This allows them to learn
where the faults are then go out and go into business fixing them elsewhere.
They create an industry for themselves.

>Yeah but not as much contempt as selling shoddy products and then
>having the cheek not to care.

It's not they who don't care.  It's the people who buy them that
don't care.  If people stopped buying them, then Microsoft would
care.  Until then, can you blame them?

"I can saw a woman in two...
 but you won't want to look in the box when I'm through"
   - "For my next trick..." by Warren Zevon