OFF: Virus alert (genuine)

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Fri May 5 09:00:09 EDT 2000

>> Not true.  I must admit, Microsoft's internally developped
>> Allegiance is one strikingly original (and cool) game, to this
>> point game of the year.  If you haven't looked at this, it deserves
>> a look.  And they did it in-house (not outside developed like
>> Age of Empires and Asheron's Call were)....
>
>Sorry, but I only find enjoyment playing Atari 2600 and other units of that
>period. It's minimalism I guess, mandating abstract thought in order to be
>entertaining.

I used to play 2600's too.   Lots of fun in its day.  But such things
are better left to nostalgia.  I remember when the revised pitfall
came out (one of the first win '95 programs BTW), one of its bonus
features was a secret level that took you to the original pitfall...

With great anticipation I found the level and entered.  this was going
to be so good.....      ack!  I spent hundreds of ours of my life
playing that?  It completely ruined the nostalgia.

I'm sorry, today's stuff is completely immersive, they are so far apart...
I mean, a gameboy probably has more sophistication than an atari 2600.

I can understand someone not being into computer games.  I can understand
someone wistfully looking back at a time they were.  But I cannot fathom
someone spending time today playing 2600 games.  If you do, well, more
power to ya.  There are a number of atari 2600 emuluaters out there you
can get and run just about all the titles with on your PC.  Ditto for
C-64, too.

"I can saw a woman in two...
 but you won't want to look in the box when I'm through"
   - "For my next trick..." by Warren Zevon