HW: The Calvert Tape

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Fri May 5 12:56:44 EDT 2000

Can I just get some idea of what kind of file size people would prefer this
to be broken up into?  Would you prefer a relatively small number of very
long segments, or a relatively large number of smaller ones which are more
topic-specific (I'm leaning towards the latter, without making them too small).

What sort of size file would people consider small enough to not constitute
too big a pain to download? I don't want to divide the things up into
unecessarily small files, but I'd like to still keep them manageable. I only
have a 14.4k modem, so my idea of what constitutes too large is probably
going to be more conservative than most people's. With my slow connection, I
generally regard anything bigger than about 250k to be fairly offputting,
but I think these files are going to have to be considerably bigger than that.

I just wanted to add that I don't want to get into the business of making
physical copies of this tape. I haven't been into tape swapping for a long
time, and there's not really anything I'm particularly after, plus I don't
want to put repeated strain on a TDK-D low noise tape that's already nearly
20 years old (yes, transferring it to CD is a good idea.) I'd like to do the
thing once, get it all up on the web, and have it there permanently, so
anyone can download it and do whatever with it, whenever they like.

--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania