OFF: Olde games

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Fri May 5 16:03:08 EDT 2000

>Ah yes....
>Those were the days of wooden computers and iron programmers.  I was a
>TRS-80 Color Computer fan myself, what with that whopping 16K of memory
>(which I later proudly upgraded to the mind-boggling 64K).  I even wrote a
>few articles for the Color Computer magazines of the day..... things really
>were FUN in those days, but it  does seem pathetic in a way.... I mean all
>that effort to get some squarish primary-color graphics.... chokes me up!

Don't suppose you ever used Dosplus for the Trash-80....  that was from
my outfit, albeit its day had passed by the time I started working there.

Dosplus was actually one of two proposed disk operating systems for the
Trash, it lost out to one written by Bill Gates.  Miffed, my old boss
released his as an add-on with some extra features, was somewhat popular in its
day.  Ah, Micro-Systems, a closet outfit which never exceeded six people
in the entire time I worked there.  The stuff we did there...  I mean,
when excellence! (an Amiga word processor) 3.0 came out, they had me
write the french version.  Dialogs, menus, installation utility, even
some notes for the manual.  "I don't speak french", I protested.
"You speak spanish, that's close enough", I was told, as they handed
me a French-English pocket dictionary.  You should've seen the angry
letters from french people we got.  One of them went so far as to outline
every single error with corrections, which we promptly made and sent him
a new copy.  "Someone always does that", they told me, "no need to pay
anyone to do it."

"I can saw a woman in two...
 but you won't want to look in the box when I'm through"
   - "For my next trick..." by Warren Zevon